Sunday, February 2, 2014

My Children

I'm amazed at my children. I often look at them and think in wonder, "How on earth did I end up with such incredible children? What did I do to deserve these little people?" If you could see us on any given weekday, you'd know that I am hardly mother of the year or even mother of the week. I yell at my kids, I'm impatient with them, time and time again I put my own needs and wants before theirs. 


And yet, do you know what my kids say to me almost every day? "Mommy, you're the best mommy in the world." They can't claim ignorance. They are front seat witnesses to my sins, my short comings. They are the ones feeling my temper and suffering from my selfishness. But their wide, twinkling eyes see with the filter of grace. They are not oblivious to my wrongdoings, but they choose to see goodness instead. They choose to focus on the times when I am being a good mommy. They choose to look past my sin, cover it with their child-like love, and magnify my feeble attempts at doing right by them.


My babies are teaching me how to love. They are teaching me what grace is. I have four little examples of Jesus running around my house. I don't deserve this in the least. I could focus on my guilt, I could duck my head in shame, but instead I will embrace these gifts. I will embrace the love of God in these children and claim this grace as mine, given to me by the Father of Lights. I will watch my children shine, beaming heavenly brightness in this dark world. And I will be ever thankful for the perfect love that theirs is a droplet of- the love that covers ugliness with beauty and turns this sinner into the best mommy in the world.

1 comment: