Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Transcendence of Laundry

I've been a mom for a decade. Throughout those years, God has been impressing on my often discouraged heart that the way I spend my time here and the tasks I've been called to are crucial and vital to our world. Let's face it, parents of little kids have a tough job that tends to feel pointless and endless. We wipe bums and noses over and over, wash the same dishes multiple times in a single day, and then there's the laundry. Oh, the laundry! It forms into piles of such impressive heights that even the most accomplished mountaineer wouldn't dare try to confront them.

But all these seemingly pointless tasks are really the stepping stones that our children will follow on their way to maturity and holiness. They need to see what a servant looks like. They need to know how to handle responsibility and work hard to achieve a goal. They need to see what it looks like to live faithfully in this world.

My children rely on me to care for their little bodies and souls and to guide them through each day. And as they see me claim the Everest-like laundry, they see a woman who will do anything to get her babies to where they need to go.

Even if I have to move mountains to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment