Thursday, June 27, 2013

Bird on a Wire

I am not fond of crows. These black scavengers are scruffy and mean-looking and insult the rest of the winged world with their ugliness. It seems in the past few years the crows around here have grown in size and in number. Or maybe it's just my distaste for them that's grown.

Earlier this week, Joshua came home from work to find me tired out from working in the yard. He brought out two cold beers and we sat on our patio enjoying the coolness that was coming along with a light summer rain. We heard the crows cawing loudly nearby. One solitary black bird, with feathers ruffled by rain, was sitting on the telephone wire calling to his friend, maybe his mate. One caw, then another would answer. We could see his beak opening as the harsh sound burst out. Hardly mellifluous. But then I could see another crow, almost hidden by tree branches, calling back and responding in kind. What are they talking about? Could it be that even these wretched birds have relationships? Could it be that even they need each other?

It's raining again today. I don't mind it. I needed the refreshment as much as the dirt and plants did. I hear from my window another cawing. But no answer. There it is again. I find my heart tugging at my mind. Is that the same bedraggled bird I saw the other day? Why is there no answer? Is he lonely? Why do I even care?

But I do care. Maybe it's the kinship I feel with any creature that has the appearance of loneliness. Maybe it's me overreacting in my melancholy way to this gray day. Or maybe it's my heart telling me to stop. To listen. To listen to the voices I hear around me. To not be so taken with my own comfort, my own pain, my own life so that I don't even hear the people around me. And once I hear these cries, these caws, to feel them and respond. To try to heal the hurt in whatever small way I can.

Did I really just liken these miserable birds to people? I suppose I did. But aren't we all wet, bedraggled creatures, sometimes without even a beautiful song to help us through, just hoping someone will answer us when we call? And if I'm just like that crow, sitting on the wire, can't I at least answer a fellow crow? And then we'll both know, we aren't alone. And wouldn't that make all the difference in the world?


Wouldn't that change the world?

1 comment:

  1. You have absolutely no idea how much this helped me, Mrs. Gardner. I had a lot of trouble being patient with some campers this week, and trying to make sure they were okay and having fun and all that stuff was quite taxing. The whole situation was really making me frustrated, and when I read this, it helped me. It reminded me that I'm an ugly crow, too. I remembered that I need to have grace, and that my being patient with my campers could change their lives, and they could change the world for the better. So, thank you for this insight and encouragement on life.

    ReplyDelete