Saturday, June 15, 2013

Father's Day

An open letter to the two most important men in my life. For Father's day.

To Dad and Joshua,

You two are the most influential people in my life. One of you gave me life and formed my youngest memories and moments and the other captivated my heart and now guides me through this bewildering life. So how do I properly express my full appreciation to you both? Where does one find words suited to this task? Ah, words. I think I'll start there.

Dad, when I think about the main ways you've blessed me over the years, these four rise to the top: you showed me the way to live in righteousness, you loved my mother, you gave me my siblings- the best friends I could ever hope for, and you instilled in me your love of words. I learned from a very young age that words are the key to unlocking beauty, truths, stories, and relationships. With the love of words that you gave me, I've been able to unravel many of the mysteries of life and through these same words I've reached out and touched other people's hearts. Words have become my greatest allies, the weapons I fight with, the colors I paint with.

It's no wonder then that I fell in love with a man who devours words as eagerly as I do. A man who knows where to find answers and how to read truths. Joshua and I share this friendship with words that began, for me, when I was a child sitting at the dining room table as you read to us after dinner. And now, Joshua, you are carrying on that tradition in our home. Our children are being showered with these words in your voice and they are grasping onto our love of these syllables, these sounds that meld together to communicate, to display God's glory. They love these words because you do.

What a strange thing for me to give my honor and devotion to one man all my young life only to transfer my affections to another man when I was eighteen years old. And yet, perhaps it wasn't quite so strange, after all. My father taught me unconditional love, high standards of morality and ethical integrity. He showed me how a man is to lead with a servant's touch and how a husband tenderly cares for a wife. So when I saw all these attributes in that handsome college student, now over a decade ago, I knew that what I was seeing was what I had wanted all along. This transfer of my affections was smooth and natural because it was moving from one honorable man to another.

Joshua, I wish you could have seen "behind the scenes" of the beginning of our relationship. The way that my dad eagerly asked if you had yet responded to that first email I sent you and then his giddy excitement when you did write back. It was quite the group effort, our courtship. Having my dad's blessing on our relationship meant the world to me. When he walked me down the aisle on that glorious July day and put my hand in yours, I know he did so with happiness and the knowledge that you were worthy of his daughter that he had poured his love into for eighteen years.


As I dwell on these memories, I'm utterly convinced that I have been blessed beyond what I can comprehend. I was raised by a man who sacrificed much to love me and now I am raising my own children with a man who is constantly putting his family's needs above his own. On this Father's day, I am overcome with gratitude for you both. My past, the foundation I built my life on, was sturdy because of you, Dad. It's because of you that I can run and jump and not be shaken. Joshua, you hold my future. I trust you with my life because you have shown me that your love has no end. You push me, protect me, forgive me, teach me, strengthen me, guide me. It's because of you that I can fly.

These words I love so dearly are struggling to keep up with my heart, to show how much I love you both. Thank you for being who you are and for loving me like you do. Happy Father's day.

Love,
Adiel

No comments:

Post a Comment